Biochemistry belongs to one of the oldest fields of the Faculty of Science. The first biochemical institute was established in 1948 as a part of the Chemistry department under the directorship of prof. Morávek.
Ladislav Skurský (fully to the right in the picture) saw through that the biochemical institute became a standalone department in 1962.
doc. RNDr. Petr Skládal, CSc.
The current director and head of the biosensor laboratory. Researching enzyme and antibody biosensors. AFM and SPR techniques along with electrochemical methods.
doc. Ing. Martin Mandl, CSc.
Director from 2007 to 2019. Researching chemolitotrophic microorganisms and bioleaching. Guarrantor of the Biotechnology programme.
prof. RNDr. Vladimír Mikeš, CSc.
Director from 1997 to 2007. Worked on fungi as plant pathogens and researched nitrogen metabolism in microorganisms.
doc. RNDr. Petr Zbořil, CSc.
Director from 1990 to 1997. Worked with Keilin-Hartree heart muscle preparation and Paracoccus denitrificans.
prof. RNDr. Vladimír Dadák, DrSc.
Director from 1973 to 1990. Researched natural antibiotics, respiration decouplers, ATP production, oxidative phosphorylation and kumarin derivative ostruthin.
prof. RNDr. Lumír Macholán, DrSc.
Acting director from 1968 to 1969. Worked on aminoketoacid synthesis and enzyme kinetics of diamine oxidase. Researched biogenesis of alkaloids. Also published in entomology.
prof. RNDr. Ladislav Skurský, CSc.
Director from 1962 to 1973. Worked on aminoketoacid synthesis, derivatives of ornithin and lysine. Researched alcaloid synthesis and alcoholdehydrogenase.
prof. RNDr. et PhMr. Vladimír Morávek
The founder of the Department of Biochemistry and the first Czech professor of biochemistry. Director from 1950 to 1962. Researched serum composition changes as indicators of neoplasia.
Our first foreign assistant professor Hans-Heiner Gorris.
The Biotechnology follow-up master's degree program opened
The department gained two new assistant professors Kateřina Dadáková, and Zdeněk Farka.
Network BiochemNet for cooperation in biomedical research was established.
The department moves into its new building C5 at University Campus Bohunice.
Martin Mandl leaves Bratislava and joins the department with research into chemolithotrophic microorganisms.
Igor Kučera joins the department.
The department gains another scientist, Vladimír Mikeš.
Petr Zbořil joins the department as assistant professor.
The department separates from the Department of Organic chemistry and becomes a standalone institution under the directorship of Ladislav Skurský on 1st of September 1962.
An organic chemist Ladislav Skurský, chemists Vladimír Dadák and Lumír Macholán join the department, respectively.
The Department of Biochemistry is formally founded by prof. Vladimír Morávek.