Study with us
I am interested in studying...
Come meet us during Open days!
Are you finishing high school and thinking about going to the university? Are you interested in the way life works on Earth? Have you given biochemistry some thought? Come meet us!
- You can ask our teachers and students directly anything!
- You can grab our merchandise, information brochures and study catalogues.
- We'll show you around our department!
10 reasons to study at Faculty of Science and Department of Biochemistry!
“I could never answer the question whether I prefer biology or chemistry, because both of them are my favourite subjects. That's why biochemistry seemed the ideal combination of both.”Mgr. Daniel Pokorný
1. Study of STEM fields is perspective on the job market
The Faculty of Science at Masaryk University prepares students for their future careers as scientists, high school teachers or industry experts capable of independent experimental and laboratory work.
The Department of Biochemistry offers several programmes with wide applications in the fields of biochemistry, biotechnology, bioanalytical chemistry and others. Our graduates work both in public research institutes and in private companies.
2. We offer countless of bachelor and master degree programmes from the fields of biology, biochemistry, physics, geology, chemistry and math
The Faculty of Science offers:
- 20 Bachelor's studies
- 36 Follow-up master's studies
- 19 Doctoral studies
At the Department of Biochemistry you can study the Bachelor degree programme Biochemistry, then three Master degree programmes; Biochemistry, Biotechnology and Bioanalytical Laboratory Diagnostics in Medicine – Bioanalytic. And also two doctoral degree programmes; Biochemistry and Bioanalytical chemistry.
3. You have a great chance to succeed at entrance exams
Because we realize we have limited means to recognize skills of applicants, admission requirements are not that tough. You can try out sample entrance exams and you can also check out the results of admissions in past years.
Also, students from Slovakia are offered entrance exams in Bratislava.
With great grades and extra-curricular activities in high school, you can get a chance to skip the entrance exams altogether. More information is below.
4. Waiver of the entrance exam is possible for several reasons
Every programme is different but generally, these criteria may apply:
- excellent grades in high school
- results of SCIO national exams
- attending high-school olympiads
- students' professional activities (SPA)
- attending selected educational courses
More information about admission procedure is on the website of Faculty of Science.
5. Both educational and research facilities of our faculty are state of the art
6. We offer direct contact with the research and professional experience during your studiesabízíme přímý kontakt s výzkumem a profesní praxí v průběhu studia
The possibilities for students to get involved in research projects at our faculty are basically unlimited. There are countless ongoing research activities across the faculty from our international teams and you only need to pick one of them.
Students with a focus on education can also take advantage of extended means of gaining experience at high schools or different extracurricular activities.
7. You can work on your Diploma and Bachelor theses' with industry or private companies
Cooperation with the private sphere is welcomed and supported by the Faculty of Science. Our connections with the industry and private research companies help you
The Biotechnology study programme at the Department of Biochemistry is aimed at preparing experts ready for independent work in the biotechnology field. Students are encouraged to work in private companies such as Contipro, GeneProof and others.
8. We support accessibility and students with Special Needs
All students with sensory or mobility impairments, psychological difficulties, chronic diseases or students with learning difficulties are supported.
More information is available at the website of Teiresiás centre.
9. To motivate students for excellent results we offer several types of scholarships
We award students for excellent study results, extraordinary research activities, but also for the representation of the faculty or for creative inventions.